So, last week I felt like something sweet, and I came across a few recipes, but one that really caught my attention, was “Jam Roll-ups”, which reminded me of the little treats I used to love. So I decided to bake myself 2 enormous batches (because diabetes is not close enough) and live life. Yolo, betches.
- 200g jam (i used plum to recreate the childhood treat)
- 14og flour
- 4 eggs separated
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 40g powdered sugar
- vanilla extract to taste
- 1 pinch of salt
- Your eggs. They need to be at room temperature, for you to properly be able to beat them. Also, even a drop of yolk in your whites will absolutely ruin your mixture. So, you better be careful how you separate your sh#t.
- Your stand mixer (or whatever mixer you’re using) must be very clean. The tiniest bit of fat that may have survived on there will crash all your dreams.
- Roll it up when still hot, waiting for it to chill may cause it to break right there, in your hands. And that would be just sad.
- Preheat oven at 175*C.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until foamy. Then, add you granulated sugar, little by little and beat. Don’t beat them for too long though, they need to be firm, but also ‘creamy’.
- Transfer the egg whites into another clean vessel.
- In that same mixer, add the yolks, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix well, until they become creamy.
- When that state is achieved, sift half of the flower on top of it and gently fold it in. Next, add about half of the egg whites and, also, gently fold them through. Do the same with the rest of ingredients.
- On a baking tray with non-stick baking paper, evenly spread the batter with a spatula.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle the ‘cake’ with powdered sugar. Take it out of the tray, still leaving the baking paper on, and roll it.
- Let cool completely.
- NOW, gently de-roll it and add your jam, but don’t add too much. You can even add chocolate, if you want to.
- Roll it up again and let it sit for at least 1 hour.
- 10-12 mins
There you go! Maybe I’ll get diabetes, but at least we’ll get it together (dark humour jokes goals lmao) Love ya. Cheers, bye ❤